A cold night in Boston

This topic contains 40 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Carl 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Carl
    Keymaster

Keeper Welcome:
    Thank you all for getting characters done and updating backgrounds, skills, etc in a super timely manner. Neil and John, you will receive you packages next time I see you, Curt I am just needing an envelope to fit it and it’s going to be sent. Everything will be online of course. The first thing you will notice in your package is the FBI Document. This is more for fun and you will notice in certain notes, etc some pop culture reference and references to places, old games, etc that we all know. The only things non digital you will receive are library cards, drivers licenses, degrees and government papers that your character will have (again more for fun then practical to the game itself). That all being said, let the show go on.

A Cold Night in Boston
    It’s a cold rainy night in Boston, Massachusetts where you all find yourselves in the residence of Andrew Keetling. For some of you he is a friend and for others former student. You all recently received a telegram which brought you to this residence this June 22nd, 1923 at 1125 Beach Street. You all remember the words of the telegram rather vividly.

“Your friend Andrew Keetling has disappeared. It is of grave importance you come to 1125 Beach Street on June 23rd at 6pm for I believe something terrible has happened to him”

You all managed to find the time in your schedules to be here this evening. A small plain looking woman named Sarah greeted you all at the door and showed you to the study. She politely offered you all some tea rather avoiding any discussion as to why everyone has been summoned.

The utter silence except for the crackling fire as Sarah was preparing tea was unnerving with the flashes of lightning outside which added to the uneasiness being felt. Finally after some unsettling moments the clack of heels signaled tea was to be served. Sarah set the cups on the coffee table and served a most refreshing earl grey.

Once everyone was served Sarah moved to the front by the fireplace.

“Welcome everyone and thank you for coming. I know you all to be very good friends of Andrew as he mentioned you numerous times in our conversations. That is why I contacted you all to come here this evening. I apologize for how abrupt the telegram may have been but I assure you it is very important.

Andrew has always been a quiet, responsible individual….that is until lately. A few months ago, he began associating with a group of young artists and before long was spending much more time with them than he was at home. At first I thought little of it, expecting he would lose interest in the bohemians and settling back into our usual lifestyle. However Andrew began staying away more and more from home so I suspected he has maybe fallen in with ‘a bad crowd’ so to speak.

I think Andrew has been writing some very large checks, made out to people whom I don’t know. When I confronted Andrew with this he grew VERY angry at me and refused to discuss it. He would later apologize and explained the money had been spent on some paintings with which he intended to decorate his study.

I grew suspicious when he brought the three painting home as they were all done by the same artist but who was unheard of and certainly didn’t warrant the amount of money he had spent on them. The three pieces were quite atrocious. Not only were they executed by a complete unknown but the subject matter was completely ghastly. Hardly the type of thing you would want seen hanging in your home, or even in a gallery.

We had quite the argument about it but Andrew was vehement about their quality. He told me that one day this Garsetti person would be recognized as a modern day master and that the three paintings would be worth a small fortune. A few days later Andrew went out one evening and never returned. That was two weeks ago.

I notified the police but they have uncovered nothing and I am not quite sure they are doing a proper job. This is why I turn you you all who he was friends with for I know you would have his well being at heart. Please you must help me.”

Keeper Note: You may already know each other in passing, as a colleague or even as a friend. Feel free to discuss this in the How I Met Your Character thread in the Investigators forum.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Carl.

Carl
    Keymaster

Grant: Grant shifted uncomfortably as he stood by the fireplace. His eyes flitted across the room’s patrons, hoping for some kind of reassurance that wasn’t forthcoming. It was then that he let forth an uncharacteristic stammer:

“I… I understand that you’re distraught, miss, but what can we do? I might not know everyone you’ve assembled, but a private investigator would be more help than teachers and students, would they not?”

He took a tellingly nervous zip of the tea, almost as if to punctuate his words with the clatter of cup against saucer.

Carl
    Keymaster

Henry: Listening to Grant speak, Henry nods slowly, a pensive look on his usually care free face.

“While it is indeed grim news, a rag tag band of novices playing at investigator would not be most peoples turn to in times such as these.”

He takes a quick sip of tea.

“Playing at detective, I do not feel, will be as simple as it may seem in the serials…are you certain that the professionals have given up the search?”

As he says this last bit, he avoids her gaze and focuses on the floral patterns that adorn the quaint tea cup in his possession.

Carl
    Keymaster

Benjamin: Ben sits casually leaned back in his chair, eyeing the people in the room around him with a furrowed brow. Some he recognized as having met in passing, some social function somewhere, others he had never seen before tonight. He had no idea of their abilities or skills, but what he did know, were his own. He could play a crowd and put on a show, as well as perform some truly impressive misdirection, but his skills did not include detective work, though he had enjoyed the adventures of Hercule Poirot and would not pass up a chance at some of those thrilling adventures. His eyes came to rest finally on Sarah.

Andrew was a good friend, and a good man, he had always been kind to Ben, and generous too. But Sarah…. there was a time when both Andrew and Ben had vied for her affections and though Andrew had won in the end and Ben bore neither any ill will, he could not deny that seeing her again stirred emotions in him once more. It was then that he decided he would do what he could to help. And even if he failed, then perhaps Sarah would see his efforts as a sign of strength and devotion…. he stopped that line of thought and cleared his throat, the sound surprisingly loud in the small room.

“Sarah, while I agree with our colleagues, I still feel that I could not, in good conscience, turn away from the pleas for help of a good friend. I will, of course, will do anything and everything I can to both help and comfort in this most difficult of situations.”

With that he flashed a smile that he felt confident was both sincere and comforting, and looked about to the others in the room once again.

Carl
    Keymaster

Henry: Henry chokes a bit on his tea at Ben’s words. Having been a predator himself of many a woman’s affections, he cannot help but sense the want within the man.

Regaining some measure of composer, he feels now may be a good time to propel the dialogue in a new direction.

“Yes, well quite. Sarah, you had mentioned paintings that our friend had purchased prior to his disappearance. I am a dabbler of the arts myself and while I am not familiar with the name, maybe I can offer some insight to the art itself if I may be allowed to view these works?”

For love of lost friend, Henry will play detective if even for just the evening it will be more enjoyable than watching some form of scandalous romance attempt to birth its way into the world. At least one that does not involve himself…

Carl
    Keymaster

Mary: Mary looked around the room pensively. Grant did have a point. Who were we to investigate such a disappearance? Certainly no PIs were among us. Apart from the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle that she was presently reading, Mary couldn’t make heads or tails about finding missing people. Mr Holmes relied on his wits more than anything. Slowly she sipped some of her tea. Helping finding Andrew couldn’t possibly hurt, even if I’m not qualified.

“The paintings would indeed be a good starting point, I believe. I’d like to see them too, even though I am no expert in the matter.”

Carl
    Keymaster

Sarah seem’s to sink an inch or two before the firelight upon hearing the doubts but after a brief moment she straightens up again.

“I know that you all have no background into private detective work and I normally would leave it just to the authorities themselves but thus far I have the impression that I am more an annoyance. What is a missing person worth when there are much more heinous crimes out there and in a sense I can understand other matters may take precedence but if my love Andrew and your friend is indeed in some sort of danger then the sooner we find him the better. Who better to find him then the people who know him the most. If I must walk the streets with a picture door to door then I will but I just have an indescribable feeling that you can find him.

If you could at least humor a woman in distress may I propose that you at least stay two days or so to just look. Maybe you could get some information from Detective Devlin that he is keeping from me or maybe see about this woman who I believe he met at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. I have spare rooms if you wish to stay and anything you need I can arrange for. I apologize if I am pushy but it’s Andrew and there is nothing I wouldn’t do for him.

While you decide I can at least show you those painting he has acquired. It’s in his personal study down the hall and maybe they will help make your decision.”

She motions with her arm to follow her as she leads you all down the main entrance corridor a small door at the far end. She opens the door to reveal a small study which is now dominated by three paintings identified by a small silver plaque engraved with the title of the work. A bookshelf filled with various genres of books occupies the corner of the room and various knick knacks adorn the desk which is in the middle flanked by these giant paintings.

“Here they are”

she says disdainfully.

Your eyes are irresistibly drawn to the painting just behind Andrews desk. It’s entitled “The Dweller in the Void”. This painting depicts a large humanoid figure suspended in a distorted field of color. The figure is thin, malformed, it’s features murky. It appears both mummified and decayed. It is also signed “Garsetti”

Your eyes cannot help but focus on the hanging figure and as one begins to pick out the details it becomes obvious the thing is composed of twisted and tortured souls.

Everyone in the study please make a POW roll. If someone decided to stay behind in the living area you are exempt from this roll.

Carl
    Keymaster

Marie: 98

Carl
    Keymaster

Henry: I rolled a 27. I think that’s good? Am I supposed to roll lower like in 6th edition? or is it higher now? Can’t find reference to it in the Investigator’s Handbook.

Carl
    Keymaster

Simon followed the group. While he had to say Grant did have a point. Neither of this group had any background in private investigation he didn’t think a group of amateurs would be of any help. But he also couldn’t help but think that the police would be too quick to give up if they Had too much trouble finding Andrew. they should at least try and if it became too dangerous they could always back away and let the police handle it. He thought that Andrew would try if it were one of us that had gone missing.

Carl
    Keymaster

Simon:

“What an absolute horrifying painting. Why any one would buy one let alone three is beyond me. Andrew never seemed to me the type of person who would own such a grotesque painting”

Carl
    Keymaster

Simon: I rolled a 40. At least I think I did it properly.

Carl
    Keymaster

Keeper Note: Success is equal to or lower then your score. This goes for skills and characteristics. Also you have three difficulties now. Regular which is your normal roll, hard which is half it’s value and extremely difficult which is the fifth value. I will wait to hear back from the others before going on with the results.

Carl
    Keymaster

Grant: I rolled 66

Carl
    Keymaster

Benjamin: Ben follows the group and as his eyes gaze upon the painting, he shudders, but manages to remain composed for the time being. (I rolled 48)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.