Meeting of the Minds

This topic contains 25 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  John 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Carl
    Keymaster

You all are sitting around in the living area sipping on drinks having come back from your respective investigations. It’s early afternoon now and Sarah Keetling is out. She left you a key under the entrance floor mat so you may get inside the house in the event she was not home. You have all had your fair share of troubling news.

Carl
    Keymaster

Mary
    Mary sips her tea wondering about what they learned. Human sacrifices… Andrew would hold such practices in abhorrence. Then why would he fall into such a crowd?

“Henry if you will, while Sarah is out do you mind passing to Grant and Ben the letter I gave you please? Another piece of puzzle.”

Carl
    Keymaster

Simon
    While the letter is going around I catch everyone up with what happened at the museum.

“A shame that the CV got destroyed. This Sailor’s club seems promising. The University can be a last ditch effort if we become lost and hit dead ends. What happened with the detective any leads there?”

Carl
    Keymaster

Benjamin
    Ben sips at the steaming cup of tea in his hand, he had gone a little heavy on the sugar, as he often did with his tea, it was very comforting and warm. He turned his attention to Simon at his question.

“Not a lot, I’m afraid, though I did pick up on something during the visit. It seems that the detective has recently been investigating a cult which, curiously enough, shares it’s name with one of the paintings in Andrew’s study; The Sylvan Night. Though I can’t say what the significance is, but it seems too specific to be mere coincidence.”

Carl
    Keymaster

Grant
    Grant looks about the room, listening to everyone.

“I agree, Ben, it does strike me as more than just coincidence. I’m thinking that I visit a library, perhaps the Athenæum, and do some research. I wonder if this name comes up historically. Perhaps this cult has history in the area or perhaps this name has some other significance.”

Carl
    Keymaster

Henry
    Eyeing Mary, he pauses for a moment. Then reaches into his jacket pocket.

If you think it best Mary.

Henry passes the letter to Ben

Mary found this in our dear friends office. It is fairly troubling and against his very character, but there it is.

He then leans back and sips his tea, waiting for them to take in the contents of the letter. He is also ponders the name Sylvan Night.

I rolled a 49 for my art painting knowledge, do I know anything of this work of art. Does the name ring any bells?

Carl
    Keymaster

To Henry
    You remember a painting entitled Sylvan Night in the study. You didn’t get a chance to examine it closely as you were entranced by the painting of the mansion. You could always examine it further in the study for more clues if you wish

Carl
    Keymaster

Benjamin
    Ben reads over the letter, it truly strikes him as odd, having known Andrew for many years, he found it, as Henry had stated, very much out of Andrew’s character.

A puzzled look on his face, he looks back and forth between Henry and Mary as he passes the letter on to Simon.

I have to admit, I’m a little shocked and in disbelief. Andrew may have enjoyed some frivolities when we were younger, for sure, but to betray his vows? This is truly unlike him. I think either we’ve found why he disappeared, or perhaps the affections displayed in the letter are a one-sided affair and we have something more sinister to discover.

Ben went silent at his own words, the thought of either possibility disturbed him greatly and he feared for his friend. He looked worriedly around the room, expecting very much to see the same concern in his companions’ eyes.

Carl
    Keymaster

Henry
    Nodding at Ben’s words, Henry finds himself darkly musing that he would prefer it be foul play rather than infidelity. For Andrew was always a man with a great deal of moral fibre. He quickly casts such thoughts aside.

I believe I will venture once more to our dear friends study. I would like to examine those works of art more closely, now that the terrible first encounter with them has left me.

Finishing his tea he rises and makes his way to the study, once more to gaze upon the soul searing images found within.

Carl
    Keymaster

Neil
    You make your way back to the study and to the haunting painting of Josephine Garsetti. The room is quiet and you feel very uneasy being in this room alone with these paintings on the wall.

Your eye turns to the last painting which you did not get to examine. It is entitled Sylvain Night and features a beautiful blonde headed woman sprawled across a great rough hewn stone.In the dark background you notice pine trees silhouetted against the sky. Above the treetops, seemingly forming from the very air, is a dark swirling mass whose identity is unknown.Despite the evident beauty of the woman her sultry expression is very disturbing.

The rough hewn stone after some moments seems more like a sacrificial altar with the expression of the woman almost coy with the onlooker hinting of the imminent violence that is to follow.

Carl
    Keymaster

Simon
    Simon reads the letter over a couple of times and eventually lays the letter down and becomes lost in thought. Certain things troubled Simon about this letter. Obviously first and foremost was how out of character this was of Andrew. He hoped that Andrew would not engage in an affair with another women. But other things struck him as odd. If he was seeing this women in secret why would she have to send him a note to meet her somewhere? Why not tell him in person. The words “do not fail” seemed quite odd in a lovers note. Why would she have to put that down unless there has been requests of other meetings but Andrew has simply ignored them or could not attend them for whatever reason. Which might show that he still has feeling for his wife and had simply made a regretful mistake and this Garsetti women has read more into the relationship than Andrew has.
    Simon looked up from his thoughts and looked at Mary ” was there an envelope with this letter I would be most interested to see where these letters were being delivered too and where they were coming from. Furthermore this letter has also proven to me that we should look into this Sailor’s club. I believe it holds possible clues to his disappearance. He might even be held captive there. Also were there other letters? I would like to look them over as well to truly see the nature of this relationship”

Carl
    Keymaster

Mary
    Mary looks up to Simon, slightly surprised to be disturbed from her reverie.

“You are right. There were several letters. Only that one caught my eye. We should analyse the other in search for clues. I will go get the other ones.”

Mary gets up and goes back to Andrew’s study.

Carl
    Keymaster

Marie
    Heading to the study you see Henry looking at one of the paintings. The painting is entitled Sylvan Night. He is analyzing the painting intensely. Curious, you begin to examine it as well. It is of a blonde haired woman laying on a rough hewn stone silhouetted by pine trees.

The scene seems eerily familiar to the one Detective Devlin explained of the cult that sacrificed victims in a forest not to far outside of the city. The woman laying of the altar like stone seemingly smiles coyly. Could this be a representation of the location of the killings. The thought is horrific.

Carl
    Keymaster

Henry
    Mumbling to himself, Henry takes in every inch of the painting. So intent is his scrutiny, Mary’s entrance into the study does not even register with his mind.

Hmmmm, yes…

He moves closer to the paintings surface, his nose nearly brushing against it’s surface.

This is quite the eclectic mix of refined technique and fervor…

Locking his eyes upon the visage of the woman. He actually fails to suppress a shiver as the malevolence of the subject is almost palpable, despite the artists attempt to make her seem playful and welcoming.

The subject is so lifelike, it makes me wonder if this is a self representation ofMs. Garsetti. Unconsciously aware of just how a dalliance with a married man would have others perceive her…

OOC: Are there any other minute details or deductions that catch Henry’s eye?

Carl
    Keymaster

Grant
    Grant walked to the note that Simon had placed down beside him and snatched it up. He unfurled the paper and read it.

“I agree with everyone that this seems strangely out of character for Andrew. This Garsetti woman must be some doll for Andrew to take such an about-face of character. This must be more than just some dalliance.”

The thought that the cult that detective Devlin had told them about might have involved his friend Andrew and this Ms Garsetti sent chills up his spine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.